By Bob Miller
The Super Bowl and sales: both call for an excellent game plan.
Athletics has many similarities to professional sales:
- You need an excellent game plan before you call on a customer.
- You must be confident in your ability to get the job done.
- You need a positive attitude that says to your customer ‘I am the right person to buy from.’
- You need the Want To that says to your customer, ‘Why not buy from me? I am here to earn your business.’
- Preparation, Preparation, Preparation. If you are prepared, your chances of success will rise dramatically.
Ask the Seattle Seahawks following their Super Bowl performance.
The Denver Broncos entered the Super Bowl with the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL, facing Seahawks’ top-ranked defense. Seattle also had the youngest roster. It’s really an amazing story when we analyze it. Denver set the all-time passing yardage this past season, with 5,477 yards, breaking Tom Brady’s record from the previous year. Peyton Manning also set a record for touchdowns this season – 55. In addition, he received his fifth MVP award. Denver was considered the offensive machine. No huddle offense, spread formation sets or receivers who – once they caught the mid-range pass – could move up the field with yardage.
How did Seattle have a chance at winning?
Tremendous preparation, which gave them confidence in their attitude.
We could see it in their body language and hear it in their voices when they were being interviewed, both pre- and post-game. They had a quiet confidence about them. And, the coaches did an excellent job in their game plan to stop arguably the best quarterback of our time.
The competitive nature to be the best is what drives us all. We may not always win, but it’s worth taking the chance. The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat. That’s life. We never reach the thrill of victory if we don’t put ourselves out there. It’s the competitive spirit that fuels most people in sales. See you out in the field…
Editor’s note: Bob Miller is vice president of sales at Gericare Medical Supply, Inc.