Here are five great customer service tips that will give any company an advantage over competition and more value for their customers.
- Do not settle for satisfied customers – Satisfactory is an average rating. The best companies recognize that satisfied customers are not loyal customers. Every employee should ask themselves a question: What am I doing right now to ensure that the next time the customer needs what it is that we do or sell, they will choose us? Most people think of loyalty as a lifetime, but it is really about the next time – all of the time!
- Get into alignment – Every employee must know what the company expects from them, as well as the brand promise the company makes to the customers. Create a mantra, which is a one sentence or less statement that combines the vision and mission of the company, as well as the promise to the customer. The Ritz Carlton hotel chain has a great one that is just nine words long: “We are ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen.” Everyone gets it, the employees and the guests (customers). The employees have it memorized. They live and breathe the mantra – all of the time!
- Constantly train – The best companies budget time and expense for on-going training of both hard or technical skills (the skills needed to do their job) and soft skills (customer service, relationship and personal improvement). They don’t do this once in a while – they do it all of the time!
- Create confidence – Confidence comes from a predictable experience. You want customers to own their experience with you, which means that they know what to expect – all of the time!
- Be amazing – The best/amazing companies do not deliver over-the-top customer service experiences all of the time. While once in a while they do, their secret is consistency. They are simply predictably better than average – all of the time!
Bonus: Never forget to show appreciation. Say thank you – over and over. Customers need to be told how much you appreciate their business – all of the time!
Shep Hyken, CSP, CPAE is the Chief Amazement Officer of Shepard Presentations. As a professional speaker and author, Shep helps companies develop loyal relationships with their customers and employees. For more information on Shep’s speaking programs and books, please contact (314) 692-2200. Email: email@example.com Web: www.hyken.com. For information on customer service training, go to www.TheCustomerFocus.com.